Which is the toughest yet most rewarding job in the world? Well, if you’re a parent then you know! Taking care of kids can be a real tough task but then their love and cuteness is just as rewarding. But then comes those dirty tasks that are kind of unpleasant. With great power comes great responsibility. But well, you have to do what you have to do. But how to do it? Don’t worry we are here to help you.
So when your kid is young and yet to be potty-trained, bed wetting is a daily routine. And that can be a real head-scratcher. This can go on for some time and knowing how to handle and take care of it can be of huge relief for parents. Although, many parents make some mistakes in handling the situation. When the child is young, your every reaction and behaviour makes a deep impact on them. Keeping that in mind, always be conscious of your reaction when you find out about the wet bed. Do not yell at them or scold them even a little bit. Such reactions can cause shame and fear in the innocent mind of the child. Which will lead to many potential psychological issues in adulthood.
And more than that, the next time they wet the bed, they will try to postpone or hide it because of the shame and fear associated with it. Now the longer it takes for you to find out and take care of it, the worse it will get for your mattress. If it’s not taken care of immediately it will cause stubborn stains and foul odor which will be difficult to treat. So always be supportive and gentle with your reactions, it will help preserve your kids’ self-esteem as well.
Now what all you can do for this? You can try to get your kids to get habituated. Try to get them to use the bathroom as much as possible. Teach them to not hold onto urges and act upon them immediately. Avoid liquids after dinner and always make them use the bathroom right before they get into bed. Despite all the precautions, accidents are bound to happen so you should be prepared to tackle them as well. So how to do that? Take below elaborated steps:
- Take action immediately.
- Remove the layers and soak up the urine with a dry paper towel or clean dry cloth, as much as possible and try not to let it spread to more surface and layers beneath the surface.
- Gather your cleaning supplies: Baking soda, clean cloth/towels, vinegar, clean cold water, a bit of laundry detergent and vacuum cleaner.
- Make a solution of vinegar, water and detergent and spray on the affected area.
- Let it sit for a while, for about 15 minutes.
- Now blot it with clean dry cloth/towels.
- Now for deodorising and proper drying, sprinkle baking soda on the affected area generously and let it sit for some time.
- After some time, use damp cloth and wipe it away.
- Lastly, use a vacuum cleaner to dry out remaining moisture and remove baking soda residue.
Make sure to wait till the mattress is absolutely dry before reapplying bedding. And always have your mattress professionally cleaned with either dry cleaning method or steam cleaning method. You will find various professional mattress cleaning services in Sydney easily.